My favorite quotes!

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Review: Cinder and Ella

Cinder and Ella Written by:  Kimberly Lemon
Publisher:  Cedar Fort
Pages:  208
Publication Date:  November 8, 2011
Source:  Netgalley
Genre: Middle Grade, Young Adult

Summary from Goodreads:
After their father’s disappearance, Cinder leaves home for a servant job at the castle. But it isn’t long before her sister Ella is brought to the castle herself—the most dangerous place in all the kingdom for both her and Cinder. Cinder and Ella is a Cinderella story like no other and one you'll never forget.

My thoughts:
I have to say that when I first heard about this book I thought it would be a sort of retelling of the classic fairytale "Cinderella."  It's really not.  There are some similarities such as good (Ella) versus evil (the Prince), two spoiled sisters, and the father's disappearance.  Other than that these stories are nothing alike.  There is not a glass slipper and I couldn't find a fairy godmother anywhere in the story.  The title and the cover are what drew me in the first place.  The genre on goodreads states "adult/young adult" but I would go more towards middle grade/ young adult.  The language and actions of the story are tame and I would allow my 11 year old daughter to read (in fact I am hoping to get her to read it and add to my review). 

There are many lessons to be learned from the story about family and taking care of one another.  Cinder and Ella were the main caregivers of the family after their father drifted away.  Cinder was always the kinder one with more patience, but Ella was strong in her beliefs.  I thoroughly enjoyed this story and hope I will be able to get my daughter to enjoy it also.

No comments: