My favorite quotes!

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Review: Tris and Izzie

Written by: Mette Ivie Harrison
Published by: EgmontUSA
Release Date: October 11, 2011
Source: Netgalley

From Goodreads:
A modern retelling of the German fairytales "Tristan and Isolde",  Tris and Izzie, is about a young witch named Izzie who is dating Mark King, the captain of the basketball team and thinks her life is going swimmingly well. Until -- she makes a love potion for her best friend Brangane and then ends up taking it herself accidentally, and falling in love with Tristan, the new guy at school.

My thoughts:
Thank you EgmontUSA for allowing me to read Tris and Izzie. 
Tris and Izzie is the story of a young girl who seems to have everything she wants or needs.  There is magic in the world that is hidden from the non magical people and Izzie's mom is a witch.  Izzie has believed her whole life that she doesn't have any magic.  When Tristan shows up things change.  She falls for him immediately even though she has the perfect boyfriend.  Two-headed dogs, giants, and serpents are all included in the story along with swords that aid in flying.

I looked forward to reading Tris and Izzie because the cover is beautiful and the synopsis leads me to believe it could be a great love story just like "Tristan and Isolde."  However, even though I read this book in two days, it was hard to get through.  Izzie is sort of self-centered and hard to connect with.  The relationship she has with the other character seems strained and the love between her and Tristan is rushed.  I know all the love at first sight, destiny to be together, meant for each other is part of the story but I didn't really feel it for Tristan and Izzie (actually I felt it more for Branna and Mark). 

No comments: