My favorite quotes!

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Review: Unlovable

Title:  Unlovable
Author:  Sherry Gammon
Publisher:  WordPainting Unlimited
Publication Date:  January 19, 2011
Genre:  Young Adult/Romance/Thiller
Pages:  307 pages
Source:  Bought for my nook
 
Goodreads Description:
Seventeen year-old Maggie Brown is truly the poster child for Heroin Chic, complete with her jutting bones and her dark-ringed eyes. She’s struggling with her growing feelings for the new guy at school, Seth Prescott, and fears he is just another person who will let her down, like everyone in her life has done thus far.  Seth Prescott is an undercover cop assigned to Port Fare High, and despite his job, he’s developed strong feelings for Maggie. Seth’s working tirelessly to flush out the sadistic heroin peddlers that have invaded the small town of Port Fare, New York, while Maggie fights to stay alive as the search turns deadly. Seth and Maggie’s romantic journey is one of humor, heartbreak and self-discovery as their world is about to change forever.
 
My thoughts:
I have been reading A LOT of paranormal, vampire, fairies, shifters books lately.  So having read that genre lately it was different reading Ashfall by Mike Mullin a couple days ago and now Unlovable by Sherry Gammon.  These two books could actually happen in real life and that was a change.  On to my thoughts on Unlovable.
 
I LOVED Unlovable.  It had been sitting in my nook for a few months and I kept pushing it aside.  Yesterday I decided to give it a go.  Well...I couldn't put it down.  I stayed awake until 5:30 in the morning to finish it (good thing today was my day off!).  First the characters were all great.  Either I loved them, hated them, or they gave me the creeps. 
 
Maggie Brown is a seventeen year old girl that has a verbally abusive alcoholic of a mother.  She believes that she is unlovable and that everyone in her life is always leaving her and letting her down.  With the kind of life she has lived so far it's easy to understand how she feels.  It is hard for her to let down her walls and let people in.  Maggie is slowly starving to death because her mother uses all her money on getting drunk and staying that way all day.  Throughout the story I felt strongly for Maggie and wanted her to sooo much have things go her way.  She had to take care of her mom - cooking, cleaning, making sure she ate, paying the bills, and everything that a normal seventeen year old shouldn't have to worry about.  Maggie even gave up a FULL SCHOLARSHIP TO STANFORD in order to stay close to take care of her mother.  How selfless and strong is that?!? 
 
Seth Prescott is a MET agent on assignment at Port Fare High School as a student trying to bust a heroin selling ring.  He is sweet, caring, kind, good-hearted, and good looking.  Hmm...maybe I could trade him for my husband??? Is it wrong of me to crush on a 21 year old character in a book?!? maybe I need help (:  Alright, back to where I was.  Seth is supposed to get close to Maggie to determine whether her and her mother are involved with the heroin ring or the dealers.  Seth, however, falls for Maggie and has to break through the walls that she has put up to protect herself.  In the process he has to also protect her from drug dealers that are out for revenge and also have theirs sights set on Maggie. 
 
Characters I hated included Bill, Alan, Hillary, Zack, and Maggie's mother.  Characters I loved included Seth, Maggie, Booker, and Cole.  Unlovable is a great read.  It made me laugh and cry sooo many times.  I cannot wait to read other books by Sherry Gammon especially the story of Cole and Booker. 

2 comments:

Donsher said...

Thanks for the wonderful review!! I'm so glad you liked UNLOVABLE!
Sherry Gammon Author of UNLOVABLE!

Italia said...

This novel has one of the best premises a reader can come across for a love story packed with action. The main character, Maggie, struggles to maintain normalcy in her life. She is stuck in a bad home situation with few friends and only school to keep her sane. When she meets Seth, the love interest of the novel, she thinks she finally found something good in life. Seth is actually an undercover agent...however, he finds himself slowly falling for Maggie. Seth has his problems too, he isn't perfect. A younger reader will still find this an enjoyable read-the love scenes are kept scrupulously clean. The novel has the ring of the realistic while still being fictional enough to keep the reader interested.